Wednesday 11 March 2009

Afro Samurai


I’ve just finished the Afro Samurai series. Considering it’s only five episodes, lasting half an hour each, taking a year and a half from watching the first, to the last, is a little embarrassing.


I was hardly knocked out of my seat by it; that being said, it was really enjoyable. The drawings were insanely good. The characters were brilliant, I loved the relationship between Afro and his conscience. And the flashbacks to develop the story were just ace. But what have I learnt from it all?


Anime can be amazing. I don’t usually ‘get’ the whole anime thing. I thought Spirited Away was way (times ten) over rated, and I could never tolerate any others for more than ten minutes. I did watch, and thoroughly enjoy Princess Mononoke, but I figured that would be the exception. In a valiant attempt to catch the anime bug, I set up a crunchyroll account in the winter, and tried watching several anime films. They were all boring. I’m 20, generally speaking I like mature stuff. I watched the Tony Tikatana movie on there (adapted from a Murakami story) and enjoyed that, but since then I haven’t been on the site. But having seen Afro Samurai, I’m definitely going to have to explore Anime again, and see if I can find something else that rocks my boat in the same way. For now, I do have Afro Samurai: Resurrection to keep my yearnings sated.


You might just see an Afro Samurai game review on here soon too, it comes out in two days. And yet it's been out since February the 24th in America... crazy! Who still does staggered release dates these days anyway?

1 comment: